Dr. Ernest Saina
Ag. Dean, School of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Welcome to the School of Agriculture and Natural Resources at Moi University. The importance of Agriculture in Kenya’s socio-economic development, agro-industrialization and above all, achievement of food security, is widely acknowledged. The School of Agriculture and Natural Resources at Moi University was re-established in 2014 following the elevation of Chepkoilel campus to a University College and subsequently to University of Eldoret. The school has launched academic programs that are both market driven and solution oriented to the industry.
Through its programs, the School provides a foundation that enables students to engage in scientific, societal, psychological and political dimensions of agriculture and environmental change. Further, the focus on solutions in Agricultural Sustainability with its orientation towards applied learning help students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills towards challenges posed by climate change. Participating students will be prepared to enter a broad range of professions and graduate programs where they can meet the emerging challenges and opportunities arising from agricultural, environmental research and climate change.
The Vision of the school is to be recognized as the Centre of excellence in Agricultural Biotechnology, Crop and Animal Sciences and Natural Resource Management training, research and extension regionally and internationally.
Our mission is:
- To effectively conceive, develop, implement, utilize and manage agricultural and natural resource knowledge for training, research, agri-business and provision of extension services to Moi University, regionally and International Communities.
- To produce graduates who are innovative, proactive and can meaningfully engage in scientific, societal, psychological and political dimensions of agriculture and environmental change.
- To promote internal and external visibility and leadership in research, training and community service; to provide a conducive work and learning environment; and to mutually work with stakeholders national and internationally for the betterment of the school and Agriculture Industry in Kenya.
The School consists of Four (4) departments as follows:
- Department of Agriculture and Biotechnology
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Animal Science and Management
- Department of Agricultural Economics & Resource Management
The School is endowed with well trained academic and technical staff in Agriculture and Environmental Studies, who provide high quality teaching and learning at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The School of Agriculture and Natural resources is also strongly committed to strengthening and maintaining a vibrant research culture, both internally and through local, regional and international collaborations with reputable academic, and research institutions.
To ensure that graduates are more versatile in knowledge and practice, the training programmes are regularly reviewed to reflect the emerging scientific and technological issues in Agriculture and Environmental studies.
Should you wish to make a difference in the field of Agriculture and Environmental Studies, this School is where you belong and you will indeed be most welcome.
I invite you to explore our website and read more about the programs and activities of our school.
DR. ERNEST SAINA
Ag. DEAN, SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES